Ann Arbor Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot 5K race report

Jumat, 27 Mei 2016

Ann Arbor Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot 5K race report

i am happy that I recruited my brother to do that race with me; otherwise, I sincerely might have said "screw it" and gone lower back to bed this morning. but, I were given up at 5:00, and left the house at 6:30 to select up Nathan. I wish that I had some thing festive to wear for the race, however I did not have whatever even close to equivalent to Thanksgiving to put on, so I simply wore simple uninteresting strolling garments. I knew that no matter what I wore, it wouldn't compete with Nathan's gown, so it didn't be counted anyway ;)

i can start with the aid of announcing that this race went SO smoothly! ultimate year, in Detroit, the entirety was so chaotic and worrying that I vowed never to do any other Turkey Trot (however of route modified my mind some days in the past, haha!). We did not sign up on line, but the race provided on-site registration, which turned into a pleasant alternative (if the climate had been terrible or some thing, I wouldn't have desired to move).

I picked up Nathan, and we observed ourselves riding up to Ann Arbor at 7:00 this morning. there was subsequent to NO site visitors, which clearly amazed me. I had heard this was a big race, so i was looking forward to it to be disturbing to find a spot to park; however we located a parking storage, which changed into loose, after which walked  blocks to the registration tent.

The on-web site registration became indexed as $35, but they stated they did not have any shirts left for folks that hadn't preregistered, so it was best $25. That become exceptional! I honestly don't need any more race shirts, so if given an option to pay much less for the race and bypass the shirt, i might do it all the time. We did get a pleasing hat, even though!

After we registered, we still had 45 minutes until the start, so we went back to the car to get Nathan's costume. He required a little help...


I couldn't agree with he become going to run in that element! I told him that i used to be hoping to run my fine attempt (no longer a PR, due to the fact i'm nowhere near that, however I wanted to do my quality). He told me to move in advance, due to the fact he had no concept what tempo he would turn out to be walking in that costume.

while we coated up, I saw a gaggle of people with youngsters and strollers and stuff towards the the front, so I genuinely ended up putting myself very near the the front--some thing I never generally do, but I didn't need to get caught behind strollers. Nathan said he became going to line up in the back. I figured this is probably my exceptional shot of EVER beating my brother in a race (we're going to just ignore the truth that he was wearing a ludicrous costume and going for walks for amusing).

Starting line
The announcer was virtually exquisite at getting the group excited and equipped to run. At 8:forty five sharp, the race commenced. there was a female with a stroller right in front of me, so it took me about 20 seconds to make my way around her, however after that, I didn't have any issues maneuvering round humans.

i have raced in Ann Arbor before, so I knew it could be a touch hilly, and it become. maybe no longer stunning hills to most of the people, however thinking about I don't have any hills to train on, they were large to me. happily, they were short sufficient that I ought to see the peak, and i knew a downhill turned into coming. the first mile had quite a few uphill, and then the second mile had a number of downhill. The third became approximately even.


i was so amazed at how rapid a 5K is going by using! After going for walks lengthy distances for see you later, racing a 5K feels adore it gets finished so quickly. do not get me incorrect--it's now not any easier than going for walks longer distances, if you're really giving it all of your effort--but it is going by way of a good deal quicker.

At around mile 2.9, we rounded a flip and i noticed the finish line in advance. I knew it wasn't going to be a complete 3.eleven miles, which changed into a bit disappointing (if I were going for a PR, I wouldn't have counted it if it wasn't a full 5K distance). however thinking about i used to be just doing this race for fun and to look what my present day 5K tempo is, it didn't in reality trouble me. I crossed the finish line at 3.03 miles.

My pace changed into pretty a lot what i was waiting for! My principal goal changed into to run each break up underneath 9:00. Bonus if I should end the race under 27:00. My "authentic" results:

even as i would be thrilled to remember my end time as 26:14, I just had to regulate for the fast path. At my actual pace (which, consistent with my Garmin, became eight:41), my end time could have been 27:00 even. So, no matter the route duration, i am very happy with that!

i really like this app... it shade codes the path based totally on your tempo. So, the blue areas were approximately an eight:00 pace, and the brown areas had been about a nine:30 pace (the brown regions are probable wherein i was going uphill). It even indicates where your quickest consecutive mile became (now not just the even mile splits, however precisely in which at the course you ran your quickest mile--mine become the closing mile, from 2.03 to three.03, which I ran in 8:23). The app is known as ConnectStats, if each person is interested--it downloads your runs from Garmin connect.



straight away after I crossed the end line, I felt like i used to be going to die (or simply vomit and skip out). I had absolutely put in one hundred% effort, and i was exhausted! I sat on a shrink, and labored on catching my breath. a couple of minutes later, Nathan came across the end line--I wasn't even ready to get a photo, due to the fact I thought he'd be every other 10 mins or so!

I teased him for a 2nd about beating him, after which he checked his outcomes:


Say what?! due to the fact he had started in the back, his end time turned into faster than mine, even though he crossed the end line after me. Who the heck runs a 5K for fun, at the same time as wearing a dressing up like that one, and finishes in 24:15?! My very nice 5K time, when i was in my very excellent form, become 24:04. walking the tempo I ran today was extraordinarily hard! unnecessary to say, i used to be notable impressed together with his finish time. And i've but to beat him at a race ;)

it is pleasant to have a beginning baseline of my modern 5K pace. I ought to take about 46 seconds off of my 5K tempo and double the gap so as to PR my 10K... it's going to be extremely difficult! however truly, i'm simply looking forward to the task. i'm going to put in all of my attempt in the course of education, after which even supposing I don't PR the 10K in April, i can recognise that at least I gave it my satisfactory shot. Nathan thinks i will get my speed again quickly, although, so it's fine to have his confidence.

universal, I genuinely enjoyed this race, and would definitely do it again subsequent yr! Now, I want to roast a turkey... :)  satisfied Thanksgiving!