My first ultra marathon! (A guest post by my brother)

Senin, 09 Mei 2016

My first ultra marathon! (A guest post by my brother)

As you realize, my more youthful brother, Nathan, finished his first extremely marathon on Saturday. He ran the Freak 50K, a part of the Run Woodstock weekend of races through Hell, MI. i'm still alternatively awed by my brother's drive when it comes to walking.

Nathan started out walking inside the early spring of 2014. After completing his responsibilities with the army, and returning domestic from Iraq numerous years ago, he'd placed on some weight and got out of shape. when my sister started strolling in past due 2012, Nathan become the only one in all my siblings that wasn't a runner. He noticed my older brother, my sister, and i having fun doing races, and i think that stimulated his choice to start going for walks.

i am SO happy that he did! Nathan and that i have been now not near in any respect more than one years ago. I only saw him some instances a yr, and that i simply wasn't certain what to do to restore that. while he requested me if i would like to go for a run with him someday, i used to be pleased. We eventually had something in not unusual we may want to speak about, and an excuse to get collectively.

in the beginning, we had been walking near the identical pace; but as Nathan began getting faster, I started out getting slower. And as Nathan lost weight, I started out gaining weight. nevertheless, I ran his first 5K with him, which become fun (despite the fact that he and Brian left me inside the dust at the end line, haha). i've gotten to look at as he stepped forward from finishing his first 5K to his first 10K, first half-marathon, first marathon, and now his first 50K.
First race with all of my siblings! Nathan, me, Brian, Jeanie (April 2015)
when Nathan does something, he truly places his all into it. he is only been strolling much less than two years, but he is already gotten pretty speedy and might run 32+ miles at a time! besides, I wrote approximately my enjoy looking his first 50K, however several human beings requested if Nathan would write about his revel in... and even though he changed into a touch shy to achieve this, he obliged ;) i'm hoping you revel in this visitor post by my brother!




in the days leading up to my first 50K, I started out to honestly question if I had educated sufficient, and become concerned that i would end up bonking in the direction of the end of the race. I regarded thru all of my training runs on Garmin join and that boosted my self belief. I delivered up the whole mileage given that I commenced my schooling plan and additionally saw that I did five runs of 20+ miles with some other long run tomorrow. The back-to-lower back long runs have been typically now not a laugh in any respect however proved to be treasured by studying to run on worn-out legs and while glycogen-depleted.
The morning of the race, I wakened at 3 a.m. in order that I could devour a good breakfast earlier than we left at 4 a.m. I had a massive bowl of oatmeal, a banana, a Clif Bar, and a few Pop-tarts. Katie and my mom came to select my female friend, Kendall, and that i up; and we drove approximately an hour to Hell Creek Ranch, which is where the race commenced. The climate changed into perfect for strolling, about forty five ranges with a forecast high of most effective 65 (I were concerned, because only a few days earlier it become absolutely hot and extremely humid). I had a difficult time determining  to run with a hydration backpack and handheld water bottle or to just use a hand held bottle and carry some other bottle in a waist %. I wanted to have one with Gatorade and one with water however wasn’t sure what to anticipate at the resource stations so I opted to use the hydration backpack and handheld bottle.
The atmosphere on the beginning line turned into completely one-of-a-kind than every other race I’ve ever run. It turned into very comfortable and nobody even lined up within the corral till about a minute earlier than the race begin. There wasn’t a large build-up with music gambling and absolutely everyone cheering or whatever. we all simply lined up in the chute and someone said, “go”.
The course circled across the campground for about four hundred and forty yards earlier than entering the woods on a unmarried tune trail. At that point, it became too slender to skip any other runners and the pace appeared quite gradual; however it turned into quality, as it kept me from going out too fast. all people turned into very pleasant and making jokes along with, “50K? I concept this turned into the 5K!” and as everyones Garmins beeped for the first mile, a person stated, “handiest 30 miles to move!”. We ran in the dark for approximately the first 45 minutes after which it started to get light enough to see with out a headlamp. at some stage in that time, the runners started to separate.

I didn’t assume to see "crew Nathan" (my mother, Katie and Kendall) till the second resource station round mile 8, so i used to be amazed to look them at the primary one. The aid stations had been certainly nicely stocked with all forms of food, soda, water, Gatorade, GU, and so on. I grabbed a cup of clean liquid (assuming it changed into water) and one of the volunteers said it became pop but I drank it earlier than the phrases registered in my head. It grew to become out to be Sprite which made me sense bloated for a while, but fortunately it didn’t deliver me any other belly issues!

After realizing how extraordinary the useful resource stations had been, I determined that I’d drop my hydration backpack with my “crew” the next time I noticed them and just go together with a hand-held and waist bottle (which is lighter and a touch extra comfy). I made it a point to absorb a Huma energy Gel every 4 miles with a few ounces of Gatorade every mile and water whenever I felt I needed it. (I used Huma gel for vitamins alongside the route. They weren’t sponsoring me or something! It just tastes notable, has the needed carbs/calories, is all natural, and makes me sense complete from the Chia seeds.) I realized throughout schooling that I once in a while would now not absorb sufficient nutrients due to the fact i used to be feeling precise on the time however it might seize up with me in the later miles.
i'm able to’t remember precisely when, but I assume it was after the second resource station that a few different runners and i found that we have been all walking at more or less the same tempo and ended up jogging maximum of the race together. A girl named Laurie was out front; and trailing her was myself and  guys, each named Matt. We talked and tried to encourage others to join our “crew”. some runners might cling with us for a while and either bypass or fall returned.
I know it sounds form of loopy however we’d get excited while we started out up a steep hill due to the fact that intended we could take a destroy from running and walk up! going for walks with them became top notch because the miles appeared to fly by means of and we were capable of keep every different motivated.
 I wasn’t positive how frequently I’d see my mother, Katie, and Kendall, but they had been able to meet me at each aid station which changed into great! It no longer handiest gave me some thing to look forward to each few miles however i used to be also capable of upload/drop equipment and refill on gels and Gatorade. I packed a bag with a extra pair of shoes (i was strolling in Altra Lone height trail running footwear), shorts, blouse, hat, gloves, a group of fuel and something else I notion i would need. I asked Kendall if she ought to ensure it changed into with her every time she’d see me along the path.  At the second to closing aid station, which turned into round mile 25, i was nonetheless feeling excellent and had plenty of gas, so I advised them to bypass the final one and just visit the end line.
quickly after leaving the last aid station, I regarded behind me and we had one way or the other lost Laurie and one of the Matts. i was hoping to all finish together however they were nowhere to be visible so the opposite Matt and i determined to push it quite difficult for the ultimate 4 or 5 miles. It seemed like quite a while however ultimately we could hear the track playing on the finish line! As we got here off the path and into the campground he said, “All proper, we could cross!” so we each sprinted (or it as a minimum felt like we were sprinting!) to the finish line.

After we crossed, a woman there asked my name and age and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I took first place in my age group! 

general, if I had to sum up the complete revel in in a phrase it might be, “terrific”! The event was thoroughly prepared and all of the other runners have been extremely friendly. whether you had been passing anyone or they have been passing you, they usually gave a compliment, words of encouragement or a excessive five. I knew for a protracted race like this that it would be essential to gasoline nicely, so I made certain to paste to my plan. I suppose that helped me avoid hitting "the wall” and that i felt extraordinary the entire race. The guide along the manner from my mother, Katie, and Kendall changed into amazing, and honestly lots appreciated!
My most effective aim become simply to complete my first extremely however i used to be sort of secretly hoping to do it in underneath five:30. i finished up completing in 5:21 which positioned me in eleventh area universal! trail walking is a whole distinct animal as compared to avenue going for walks but it’s a blast and a pleasing exchange of pace--actually!