A very rainy 20-miler

Jumat, 08 April 2016

A very rainy 20-miler

in advance this week, after I checked my marathon agenda, it stated 20 miles this Friday (nowadays). i used to be amazed, due to the fact I ought to have sworn it changed into 18! So I spent all week worried approximately my lengthy (lengthy, long) run today. closing night time, I were given a text from Renee, and coffee and behold, she was strolling 20 miles today too!

I wish I ran at her tempo, due to the fact i'd have loved some employer on a 3 half of hour run, however she's tons quicker than me. So I knew i'd be running by myself this time. i've most effective run this some distance two times before, so i used to be super frightened about it. ultimate night time, I plugged in my Garmin to rate, plugged in my iPod, laid out my walking clothes, crammed my water bottle and fixed it in the fridge--got the entirety equipped so the morning would not be hectic.

once I awakened, I could pay attention the patter of rain on the windows. Bummer.
It clearly failed to seem like it changed into going to allow up, either. but due to the fact I had any such tough time entering into my long run on Monday (and consequently, failed to emerge as doing it), I had to get it achieved these days. It wasn't an option to placed it off any longer.

I mapped out a one-of-a-kind route these days, due to the fact i used to be hoping i would run into Renee a couple of instances, and the new scenery would with a bit of luck make it move by way of faster. I grabbed an extra shirt and pair of socks to throw inside the automobile, in case the rain virtually didn't let up. I drove to the general public parking lot wherein i used to be going to do three out-and-backs from my vehicle--six miles, then eight miles inside the opposite direction, then six miles.

I sat in the car for a few minutes, clearly now not wanting to get out. The rain wasn't just a drizzle; it changed into coming down pretty tough. ultimately, I were given out and started walking. the first  miles changed into alongside a hectic street (i used to be at the sidewalk). Then I cut across to head two miles round a large park. It turned into completely empty, which changed into unusual (and totally creepy). The route is gravel, and it is going right up against the woods, after which cuts across by means of some football fields, and then goes around a pond, and then is going returned out to the busy avenue.

i was really worried to be there all on my own, because if a creeper pulled into the park, i would be trapped within the again close to the woods, basically. thankfully, all the creepers were hiding from the rain this morning, and i did not run into all of us. The rain changed into a total downpour the entire time i used to be at the park. Renee sent me a textual content while i used to be three.five miles in and said she become simply heading out.

My iPod headphones had been soaking moist and that they stopped working, so I put them in my pocket. normally, I don't use my iPod except i am doing a clearly long term, and typically then I only use it for the primary half or so. but these days, i used to be looking ahead to listening to a podcast, and the headphones stop working. i stopped at the automobile at mile six to be able to throw my iPod in there, and also to peer if I had a plastic bag to wrap my phone with. fortuitously, there has been a plastic grocery bag in the automobile, so I tore off a huge chew of it and wrapped my telephone before placing it again in my little belt pouch.

I started the eight-mile out-and-back from the auto, which went within the opposite direction, via the state Park, and lower back. At mile 9, I ate my first GU. i was beginning to experience kind of gradual, so I was hoping it would select me up a bit. The nation Park is extraordinarily uninteresting to run (the complete trail seems the equal), so I wanted to get it finished. I worked on drinking my Gatorade so that I may want to fill up when I got returned to the car.

I failed to run into a single soul inside the park, which is uncommon. but it was still raining, of direction, so naturally every body become internal! once I were given lower back to the auto, I had to exchange my socks. My toes were definitely soaked, and i could even hear a "squish" noise with each step I took. So I refilled my water bottle, and took of my sopping wet socks. My ft were all wrinkled from being so moist:
I put on my dry socks, and tried to wipe out the inside of my footwear with a towel--I needed I had delivered a alternate of footwear, too, but I had to make-do with the wet ones. I felt tons higher as soon as I changed socks. My hips and knees had been starting to sense a touch achy, and that i simply wanted to name it quits. Renee despatched me a textual content then, pronouncing she became achieved with 10 miles. I ate my other GU and headed out for the very last six-mile leg of my 20-miler, which turned into the same course because the first leg.

A mile and a half later, I bumped into Renee. I may want to see her purple girls Rock MN jacket coming toward me. She changed into all perky and feeling incredible at that point--she asked how a ways i might long past, and i said 15.6. She said she had gone 15.3... so she become CRUISING. She stated her pace changed into 8:forty eight/mi. this is splendid rapid for doing a 20-mile run. We chatted for a minute, then headed off in opposite guidelines.

once I were given to the park, i used to be relieved to be strolling on the gravel--it become a great deal softer than the concrete sidewalks and the asphalt path via the state Park. My legs didn't feel so achy while i used to be running at the gravel, but I still needed to prevent and stretch my legs a couple of instances.

eventually... in the end... the automobile become in sight! I picked up the tempo the final mile a bit, even though my legs have been amazing worn-out, and changed into so relieved to make it lower back to the automobile.
i was sincerely happy with my 10:26/mi overall tempo! My tempo has stayed steady for all of my lengthy runs--I predicted to get slower and slower as the mileage picked up. but, despite the rain, i'm loving the cooler climate! i used to be genuinely a touch bloodless these days! My splits:
I was very excited to plug my run into Weight Watchers when I got home, to see how many activity points I earned:
I earned 38 PointsPlus for that! Which is right, due to the fact I had already gone via 25 by means of lunch time--I had to matter the PP inside the GU and Gatorade, and i ate a bigger breakfast to prepare for my run. additionally--can you consider that wine is four frickin' factors for a 5 oz.glass?! this is just now not honest!

speaking of WW, i am genuinely form of liking this system this time around. it is quality to do something exclusive. and that i hate to confess it, however I think paying the money for the web program has saved me on track ;)  I so badly wanted to binge the day prior to this, however I kept considering the money I paid to try this application, so I did not do it. If there is one aspect I cannot stand, it is wasting flawlessly right cash! ;)


The winner of the giveaway for Pete Thomas's book, "Lose It Fast, Lose It Forever" is:
Congrats Karen!! Please send me an e-mail at SlimKatie (at) runsforcookies (dot) com within 24 hours with your full name and shipping address, so I can pass it along to the publisher. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!