Post-marathon glory

Rabu, 20 April 2016

Post-marathon glory

i have been basking in post-marathon remedy ever considering I crossed the finish line the day past. It feels SO correct to be accomplished, and to have finished with an awesome experience!

once I got home the day prior to this, I noticed that my boys had made signs for us at the same time as we have been long past:
This one is Eli's. Those are flowers, and a cookie, and a picture of me running
and him holding a sign that says "Go Mama Go"

This one is Noah's. Flowers, a cookie, and even my blog address ;)
aren't they cute?

I right now took a bath to scrub all of the salty sweat off my skin, and that i felt a thousand instances better. I put on a few at ease pants and my new sweatshirt that i bought on the Expo, and sat to jot down my race file. while i used to be typing, I had one of the treats that Rik added with him from Wisconsin--a peanut butter cup from a sweets shop close to his house.

Saturday changed into the final day of my six-week venture of not ingesting peanut butter, so the day gone by changed into truthful game. It turned into awesome! I savored every bite of it. I assume I forgot to mention that I additionally had one with breakfast earlier than the race the day past. i've honestly ignored peanut butter, however I don't plan on going loopy with it now that the mission is over.


when I typed up my weblog publish, Rik, Cynthia, and Angela got here over to celebrate with me. As they had been coming in, I heard a person say "Congrats!" and i looked up with surprise--it became my brother Brian and his girlfriend Becky! i used to be so satisfied to look them--Brian wasn't capable of are available for my race, but I think it changed into even better that he could come rejoice in a while. reputedly all of us knew he become coming however me--i used to be in reality amazed, and really excited.

My little brother Nathan got here over as properly, after which my mother, so we had a full house. We ordered a ton of pizza and breadsticks, and had lots of beer to head around. We also had some of the snacks Rik and Cynthia introduced--cheese and sausage (yum!) and the cookie cake from Angela that i was demise to dive into.

I ate two portions of pizza, two breadsticks, a piece each of cheese and sausage, and a big slice of cookie cake. My mom brought over apple pie and ice cream, however i was pretty full and did not have any of that. a couple of hours later, I had a 2nd piece of the cookie cake, and i failed to experience in any respect responsible approximately it. I additionally had 4 beers (they had been the Labatt fifty two calorie beers, in order that they probably don't even remember as "actual" beer, haha) and a tumbler of wine.

Renee and Jessica came over, and they delivered me a few yummy (but healthful) treats--i was genuinely relieved to peer some thing healthy after the tempting stuff i would had. Renee added some home made soup, cookies, and wine; and Jessica brought a fruit tray--tons of grapes and strawberries. (yes, i am still hooked on grapes). Then Stephanie got here over, and brought me a bottle of wine as a "thank you" for giving her my spot on Jessica's relay crew! (i've some pretty terrific pals).Their team did actually nicely, completing in 4:20 ish. It was amusing to visit with them for a bit while and hear about the revel in from their views.

I sincerely wrote everything down and tallied up the PointsPlus I ate via the whole day, and it became 99. i get 26 day by day PP, so I used the ones and all of my weekly PP and most of my pastime PP. (I had earned 29 PP at some point of the marathon, based totally on the calories burned). I failed to feel like I went overboard--I wasn't completely filled or some thing--however the ones PP brought up speedy! The cookie cake became the heftiest quantity of PP, which is no wonder.

however each single chunk changed into completely really worth it. and that i didn't even get astray. I wrote the whole lot down, and today i am right returned to "ordinary" ingesting. Angela, Rik, and Cynthia all left this morning, so i am lower back into my routine.

My legs have felt pretty exact nowadays, particularly. i'm without a doubt sore, however not anything insufferable. My knee feels uninjured (yay!!) and i will sit and stand k :) It felt so odd this morning that I did not must run--this is the first Monday in 18 weeks that i haven't had a run on the time table.

As far as walking plans within the destiny, i am possibly going to take a full week off, after which start schooling once more every week from these days. i've a 5K race in NYC on November third, but i'm simply running that for fun, so there is no pressure (it is going to be too crowded to try and PR besides). Then the following race after with the intention to be the Ragnar Relay Florida Keys on January four-5.

i am not going to do any formal training for it, however frequently just run how it's comfy to me--what I used to enjoy doing before marathon training. i will probably do three-4 runs per week: one long run, one speedwork run, and one or  quick, clean runs. I think as long as i am getting in a long run of about 10 miles now and again, I ought to be pleasant for Ragnar.

i am beginning to carefully plan and reflect onconsideration on races for subsequent yr. I don't need to do a variety of races--I simply want to pick ones which might be surely critical to me, and awareness on those without doing a gaggle of others "simply due to the fact". I do not even care about getting quicker anymore--if i used to be centered on pace yesterday, to attempt to hit a four:20 or 4:30 time, i would have missed some superb moments that made the race exciting to me: searching round and playing the sunrise while i used to be at the Ambassador Bridge; walking and chatting with my cousin Kaitlin, and Jessica; preventing for a minute to stretch my calves to make the race extra comfy; excessive-fiving youngsters and spectators alongside the route; and having plenty of communique with Rik.

i am in reality extra involved with having a amusing, enjoyable race than i am with focusing on a positive finish time now. So in an effort to come into play once I choose my races for next year as nicely.

searching lower back on the day prior to this's race, the whole lot went flawlessly, and that i could not have requested for a higher experience. yes, it became nonetheless very tough, however I don't suppose it is feasible for a marathon to be "clean". I enjoyed it the nice that I ought to inside the instances :) and that i got to eat  portions of cookie cake!