Reader Questions & Answers #26

Senin, 18 April 2016

Reader Questions & Answers #26

On Sundays, i will solution a few readers' questions in a submit. when you have a query which you would really like me to reply right here at the weblog, just ship me an email with the situation "Q&A", and that i may include them in a future Q&A submit. They do not need to be approximately weight loss or jogging--something is sport!  (consider, i am no longer a health practitioner or dietician, or any sort of scientific professional--i can handiest answer questions from my very own revel in).

Q. I've lost 135 lbs and I'm a pretty healthy eater. I sometimes struggle to let go and indulge every now and then. When I do I feel like people are watching what I eat. For example, I pinned a dessert on Pinterest and it posted on Facebook. Somebody commented about it not being healthy. Another example, we went out for dinner and I got pancakes (I love breakfast for dinner) and my brother said "there's a lot of calories in those pancakes." I know some of this is probably paranoia but do you ever feel like people watch what you eat because you've lost a large amount of weight?

A. First, a big congrats in your weight loss--that is extraordinary!! i'm able to truly relate to the remarks on what you are consuming. most of it comes from the weblog, though. I used to post my day by day food logs (just for my personal accountability, not because i used to be requesting advice), and i would get comments like, "You consume too many carbs", "You do not eat sufficient protein", "You devour too much fat", or even recently, "Grapes are bad--just sugar and water".

i've discovered that no matter WHAT I eat, people are going to have an opinion approximately it, so I just forget about the ones remarks and do what's fine for me. i am very in-music with my frame, and that i know what foods make me sense right, what ingredients make me feel like crap, what meals make me gain weight, shed pounds, and so on. i have in no way claimed to be a perfect eater, and that i surely would not be satisfied consuming a "perfect" diet that failed to consist of my favorite ingredients, healthy or not!

when a person makes a remark approximately your meals having quite a few calories or something, i'd say, "I recognise, isn't always it top notch that i can indulge and nonetheless keep my weight loss?" it's going to get old after a while, and the remarks will probably stop. but you already know your body, and what's great for you, so do not worry approximately what every body else says.

Q. When you first started running how did you find it in you to just run by yourself? I HATE running by myself despite that I listen to music. I really don't talk a lot when I do run with someone but I think it is the motivation that I have someone running with me that keeps me going.

A. it is sort of humorous, however the purpose I at the start selected running as my main exercise was due to the fact I should do it alone. i'm an introvert, and the idea of doing organization exercising turned into anxiety-upsetting for me. Now, I revel in running with a accomplice every so often, but there are masses of positives approximately going for walks by myself.

whilst you run on my own, you may go at something time is handy for you, with out looking to determine out a schedule that works for each you and a associate. you could run at your own pace, so you don't have to sluggish down or accelerate. you can cognizance on your very own desires, whether it's to run farther or quicker. 

I find podcasts pass the time faster than music does
jogging with a companion surely has its advantages, because it passes the time so much quicker. it is distracting, and you may even forget about which you're jogging when you're having a verbal exchange. if you have a walking partner and that is what you experience, then there's no motive you ought to need to trade and start walking alone.

but if you need to run by myself, for anything cause, perhaps you may discover an "responsibility" friend, who you textual content periodically for the duration of a run to say how some distance you have gone or any thoughts about the run. I did this lately with Lealah, due to the fact we each had a 20-miler scheduled at the same day. It surely helped me mentally when I stopped to "take a look at in" along with her!
Q. My sister and I have started running together. We are both obese, but she is about 40 lb heavier, a few inches shorter, and she runs a little slower than I do. We're kicking around the idea of signing up for a 5k several months from now. My question: Should I try to keep pace with her in the race, or even walk with her if she needs to slow down that much? How do you handle this situation when running with a partner or group? I don't want to hold myself back, but I feel like I'd be letting her down if I left her behind.

A. that is a truly great question! maximum of the races that I do have been with friends. however, all of us run our own race--which means we move there together, hold out together till the race begins, and then we do our personal paces during the race, and we join up again after the finish line. we all have distinctive desires, so we consciousness on ourselves during the race.

We arrived together, dressed alike, but ran at our own paces.
The finish line is the best part, anyway ;)
If that is agreed upon earlier than the race, then there have to be no tough feelings at all. but, in case you conform to stay together for the duration of the race, then you definately need to stick with that plan. it'd be very hurtful if you comply with run together, after which when she is going slower than you would like, you're taking off and leave her inside the dust ;)

You have to certainly speak about it before you even sign up for the race. simply say something like, "So do you have got a time intention for the race? i am going to strive for xx:xx!" after which it sort of informs her which you won't be running collectively until she plans on running that equal time. probabilities are, she could experience badly for containing you lower back if she is aware of you can move faster. once I run a race with Renee, she's tons faster than me, but I would not want her to slow her tempo for you to run with me. We just join up at the quit, and talk about how we did.

The exception is probably in case you're doing a a laugh, novelty race--like the colour Run, or Warrior dash, or some thing like that. Then it'd be a laugh to paste collectively as a group. however once more, i might discuss it ahead.

as long as both of you speak and recognise what to expect on race day, and then comply with thru with that plan, there shouldn't be any tough feelings!




And now a question for all of you...
What's your favorite "cold weather" meal?
One of my favorite things about fall and winter is cooking lots of soup! My very favorite would probably be Split Pea Soup in the slow cooker.