A bitterly cold long run

Selasa, 08 Maret 2016

A bitterly cold long run

i have observed that ever for the reason that Chicago Marathon, i've truly commenced to dread my runs. sure, i will in no way be one of these runners that can't wait to get out the door and opt for a run, however i have not dreaded jogging like this in a long time. So i've decided to make some modifications to my walking schedule.

I loved going for walks six days a week whilst education for Chicago, however I think i am burnt out on it now. i am going to go back to 5 days per week, and maybe just 4 down the road. also, i am not going to have target paces for my runs. There are a few days that I just want to exit for a pleasing, long "jog", without lots effort. And some days, I really want to push the tempo and run tough. however it's form of unpredictable, so i am simply going to goal for a certain mileage and run some thing pace feels cozy that day.

i am, however, nonetheless going to have tempo runs and velocity paintings. i'm now not going to goal for a selected tempo at some point of the ones; i will simply run by effort stage, and notice what takes place. this is what I used to do final winter, and that i were given a lot faster. I also enjoyed it, which is maximum vital. i'm still hopeful that i'm able to attain my new running goals for next year but if not, as a minimum I might not dread attempting ;) So, primarily based on that, right here is my revised schedule:


I like the repetition for the duration of the week. The handiest days that change are Fridays and Sundays, however this is just a moderate variation as well. I don't plan to do both of the half-marathons that i have indexed; I simply have the second on there as a again-up, in case I do not reach my aim on the primary one. i am a whole lot happier with this time table, and that i might not dread the runs like i've been.

So today, I did a 10-mile longer term. It was very cold again nowadays, a "looks like" temp of eight ranges after I headed out. I wore my cold gear tights with a thin pair of yoga pants over them, a long-sleeved tech blouse with a fleece jacket, ear warmer headscarf, and gloves. I also put Aquaphor on my face to shield it from the wind.

The actual temp became 19 stages, but it become pretty windy, which made it feel like, well, 8 ranges. And clearly, I had a headwind on the manner out. The most effective fine component about this is I knew i used to be going to have a tailwind for the closing five miles; but that first 5 became BRUTAL. more than one miles in, i used to be absolutely rethinking if I need to even finish it. but I kept focusing on how tons higher i'd sense once I became around at mile 5.

I stored hoping the sun could pop out, to make me sense a little hotter, however it become completely overcast. The shoulders of the roads were very icy, so I ran on the road itself after I should, however I stored having to stay clear of ice patches. as soon as I became around, it was so much nicer. i was nevertheless cold, but I felt a lot hotter than I had on the way out. The final five miles felt like they went by way of loads quicker, likely because i was more cozy. I even took off my gloves for the final mile. My splits had been ridiculously even, notwithstanding the truth that I wasn't aiming for any unique pace:


I felt really proud that I stuck it out in that cold! And, because I didn't feel pressure to keep a certain pace, I really enjoyed it (well, minus the freezing cold part).



nowadays become Day three of truely Filling, and i did brilliant! I earned 17 activity PointsPlus on my run, however I wasn't sure the way to spend them. not anything clearly sounded excellent! I evolved a horrible sore throat (probable anything Eli had), so I ultimately settled on ice cream, which sounded soothing. I were given one of these mini packing containers of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia, for 6 PP. right here is modern-day meals long:


Breakfast: scrambled egg + egg white, roasted sweet potatoes
Lunch: tuna salad sandwich, orange, pickle
Snack: cottage cheese and peaches
Snack: light English muffin with peanut butter (5 PP)
Dinner: Greek chicken sandwich (1 PP), marinated cucumbers
Long run treat: 1/2 cup B&J's Cherry Garcia (6 PP)

So I spent 12 PointsPlus total today; everything else was Simply Filling. I'm really liking the SF plan so far! I haven't been hungry, and I haven't had cravings (particularly sweet cravings). And I'm surprised that I've managed to do well with portion control, even though I don't measure things out. It's kind of liberating :)