Jerry's first race (guest post)

Selasa, 29 Maret 2016

Jerry's first race (guest post)

As i have mentioned (greater than) a few times, Jerry's first race turned into nowadays. i have been treating it like one of these big deal due to the fact, to me, it's miles a massive deal. i was honestly excited for him! I requested him if he wanted to write approximately it for my weblog, and he said sure. I wasn't waiting for it to be see you later, so i will just turn this right into a visitor put up... revel in


good day, y'all! that is Jerry...Mr. Runsforcookies.com. As a number of you could already recognise from reading Katie's blog, i have been schooling for a 10k race. most of you may no longer recognise why. this is my story (and i'm sticking to it): a pair months in the past Jen and Angela (producers of the From fats to complete Line Documentary) had come into city to interview Katie for the documentary.

I truly enjoyed speaking to both of them. Their tales were enjoyable and they have been honestly a laugh to be around. Jen asked me a query to the effect of "Are you exercising, too?" I laughed it off and said that Katie runs enough for the both folks. Then Jen said that her husband turned into strolling and that he definitely started education for a race that they may do together to marvel her. I concept that it became definitely superb of him to try this.
Getting interviewed at Katie's parents' house
I started out thinking lengthy and tough about why the crap I don't run. truely... why do not I run? i am married to the most important concept inside the international...and that i don't RUN!!!!??? That can't be proper. Then I realized, in the long run, that i'm lazy as fuck. certain, I lost all this weight. but I certainly didn't do whatever to lose it. All I had to do turned into eat what Katie fed me. it really is the lazy way.

I still have the ol' muffin pinnacle, handiest it is the chew-sized muffin instead of the big Otis Spunkmeyer. So, after that conversation with Jen, I went to paintings and decided then and there that i was going to offer it a attempt to run once I got off work. I got off work at 6:00 a.m. and took off as quickly as I got home--and ran three miles.

i have never stopped since. i have learned a lot about myself all through this time. I realize now that my thoughts is the largest mountain I must climb. whilst i get over that mountain then there's not anything I cannot do. i have not quite gotten to wherein I need to be i'm rattling certain going to. this is it...my going for walks story. Now my race report...

36K Allen Park 10k Run
So what! My first race might be a 10k. i've got it in the bag. education for this wasn't smooth. Michigan weather is so unpredictable. It rains with out a cloud in the sky and the the temperature swings 30-forty levels an afternoon. it is one hundred levels one day after which 30 tiers the following... this isn't weather, it's malaria. The humidity is around 150% (<---fact).
brought to that, I worked dead nights for maximum of the education. Yay, me! All is well, schooling went as anticipated. It felt like Groundhog Day. The identical route time and again and yet again. It felt like Groundhog Day. The identical route again and again and another time. however I persevered. I definitely did my longest run with Katie. I cherished it. optimistically we will do one once more collectively.
The day of the race wasn't what I predicted. I expected panic and the "poopy" type of frightened. I failed to get there. rather I involved approximately finishing.... not so much timing, simply completing. I failed to need to disappoint Katie. The youngsters had been there and i did not want to be a failure for them. Katie talked me down and that i just sucked it up and realized that there was no manner I wasn't going to finish this race. So here are some moments in my first race revel in, within the order wherein they befell:
what number of port-a-johns must there be for a race? Is it not unusual for 50 racers to be waiting for four shitters  5 minutes earlier than race time? i used to be #forty eight. slightly made it returned to the line in time.

Race began and the people were going so rapid to pass me. i used to be involved at the start, but Katie reassured me beforehand of time that a number of these people, if now not most, could burn out later in the race and they might be clean to choose off later. She changed into right.
After the primary mile, matters just got easier. the first mile is always the factor wherein my mind yells "take a fucking seat, loser, you do not want to do that!" As my desirable buddy Bobby Boucher would say, "you are incorrect, Colonel Sanders!" and that i pushed via. There have been so many high-quality spectators over the primary mile, humans with sprinklers on (for us to run thru) and cheering us on. It turned into an amazing feeling.

At the first water station, which was after the Mile 1 maker, I remembered what Katie had informed me earlier than; take  cups--one to drink and one to pour on my head. I took simplest one due to the fact I didn't need to drink too much water (didn't want to danger an disillusioned belly which might result in me being the first man in Allen Park Race records to be jogging complete pace even as taking an involuntary shit). So half on my head and the alternative 1/2 went throughout my face. going for walks and trying to drink from a tiny Dixie cup is a lot harder than it looks. FAIL.
Eli was "volunteering" by handing out water at mile three
the following couple miles become pot hollow metropolis. hot. hot. hot. Thank God that there have been community sprinklers have been going each couple hundred ft or I do not suppose i would have survived. i'd have simply melted.

There have been a total of four (authentic) water stations and there was probable 5 greater in which people just took the day out of their days to hand out their very own water. i was positive to thank everybody I ran beyond, whether or not I took water. 

i used to be beginning to get a little weak round mile 3 till i found a fantastic motivator... there was this very warm, very suit woman with an amazing frame and tiny little shorts along with her ass putting out of the bottom. That caught my interest immediately and that i instantly idea, "You better stay in the back of her." i'm one of these creeper. but, walking in the back of her made the last 1/2 of the race bearable. (Jerry totally neglected to mention that *I* was also at mile three, cheering him on!)

Now the end. I became the nook and i noticed Katie. She started snappin' away along with her digicam iPhone. i have not even seen the pix yet. Then I saw the line. I had to make a sprint for it. I needed to make it memorable although. Does all people take into account Me, Myself, and Irene? there has been a scene in that movie wherein Irene and Charlie have been going for walks for a teach and Charlie started out walking all loopy-like (elbows at a 90 diploma attitude and pumpin' away while high-stepping). That become me. all and sundry turned into cheering and  laughing. It was an awesome experience. Katie said that she did not recollect each person else doing some thing goofy to finish the race. to be able to do this and get fun out of the group become definitely a laugh. 
general, I suppose I did quite properly. The race changed into small and amusing. I plan on doing any other one. i am definitely signed up for the Detroit unfastened Press Relay. desire me good fortune!!
Here are the "official" results:
Time: 1:01:43 (a 9:57/mile pace)
Age group: 11/14
Overall: 133/190