Ragnar Relay! (super long and tons of pics)

Kamis, 10 Maret 2016

Ragnar Relay! (super long and tons of pics)

that is going to be a long access, so permit me start through apologizing for that! i'm clearly enthusiastic about completing this race, so I need to don't forget all the details.

First, permit me provide an explanation for what the Ragnar Relay is. it is a two hundred-ish mile relay race, done by way of teams of 12. In my case, the course went from Winona, MN to Minneapolis, MN (cutting via Wisconsin inside the procedure). The groups each have 12 people. The race is split into 36 "legs"--from 3.1 miles up to eight.8 miles every. each runner at the team is liable for jogging 3 of the legs--in my case, i was runner #9: I had to run 3.2 miles, then five.four miles, then 4.2 miles. I had requested for the easier legs because it was my first time, and i'm no longer exactly a marathon runner!

anyway, runners 1-6 are in Van #1, and runners 7-12 are in Van #2. Runner #1 begins the race on the beginning line, runs the distance to the next station, and passes off a slap bracelet to Runner #2 (who got there by means of van). Then Runner #2 runs to the next station, and passes the bracelet to runner #3... and so on. in the meantime, the human beings in Van #1 pressure about midway through the runner's leg and forestall to offer them water and cheer them on. Then the van drives to the trade station to await the runner. The runner passes at the bracelet, then joins the group inside the van whilst the brand new runner does their leg.

when all of the runners in Van #1 have finished their legs, then it's Van #2's turn to begin wherein Van #1 left off. Van #1 then has approximately 5 hours to kill until it is their flip again--usually they may cross discover a place to sleep or consume. once Van #2 is entire, then it goes back to Van #1. every van takes 3 turns of running. Does this make sense up to now? So someone from our 12-man or woman group is continuously jogging, despite the fact that the distances range. The crew contributors within the van cheer you on and convey you water whilst you're going for walks. So it is the explanation of what the Ragnar is. you can get more info at www.ragnarrelay.com.

I had no purpose of doing this race till about 2 weeks in the past. My brother (a pilot who lives in Minnesota) stated that he had  group participants drop out of the race and he had to fill the spots, so he asked if i would be involved. I said no. Over the subsequent couple of days, I truely notion about it, and determined to move for it. My biggest fear is flying, and i knew i might ought to fly to Minnesota to do the race, so that is what i used to be concerned about the most. I referred to as my friend Stacie to peer if she could do it with me, and she agreed (sucker!!)


WEDNESDAY
My brother indexed us on a overdue flight Wednesday night (we had been flying stand-with the aid of on my brother's buddy passes). i was SOOO nervous to fly. My mom took us to the airport, and we were given there early. We determined to have more than one beverages before getting on the aircraft (to calm my nerves!) We went to a eating place/bar on the motel and i ordered a tumbler of pink wine and Stacie were given a pina colada. A truely good looking man sat down subsequent to me and ordered a beer and dinner. Stacie and i were speaking, and that i  stated something that made her chortle. Her drink shot out her nostril and all over the bar! It was hilarious. It even landed inside the man's meals, however he turned into truly cool approximately it. He stated, "it truly is the highlight of my journey!!" We began chatting, and i informed the bartender I desired to pay for the person's meal. (facet be aware: i've a listing of 30 matters I need to accomplish by the point I flip 30, and one among them is to pay for a stranger's meal at a restaurant. This changed into a incredible possibility!) the person said actually not, but I insisted. He informed me he'd purchase me a drink at the aircraft, which turned into sincerely great of him!

We boarded the aircraft, and i used to be scared to loss of life, however feeling better after the wine. real to his word, the person from the eating place bought me a drink in flight. The flight turned into uneventful, which become an awesome component! We arrived at MSP at round eleven, and Brian (my brother) picked us up. We went to his house, sat in the hot bath, and had a few more wine till approximately 2 AM.

BOARDING THE PLANE: I'M MUCH MORE TERRIFIED THAN I LOOK!


TAXIING


THURSDAY
The next day, Stacie and I decided to go to the Mall of America for the sole purpose of riding a roller coaster there. It was really fun!


Then we were given a frozen yogurt and went lower back to Brian's. all of us went grocery purchasing for the Ragnar, and i purchased a few wholesome food: crackers, peanut butter, yogurt, carrots, nuts, peaches, bananas.

For dinner, we met up with the rest of our Ragnar group. Our crew name changed into Max continuous Thrust (aside from Stacie and i, the crew was made of pilots). I ordered the "Low Calorie bird Pizza" with out the fowl. It was brilliant--entire wheat crust with a tomato sauce, mozzarella, basil, roasted garlic, feta and parmesan cheeses, caramelized onions, bruschetta topping... YUM! We went to the lodge to get a few sleep for the race.

FRIDAY-SATURDAY
On Friday morning, I woke up at about 6. We had some coffee, got dressed, and went to the start line about 10 minutes away. We had a 10 AM start. Our first runner was Tonya. She took off when the horn blew.

The course map:


When we first pulled up to the race, we heard a siren and someone talking through a megaphone. I laughed my ass off when I saw this team pull up!!  This is team "Ragnar 911"... they were SO funny!! They stayed in character the entire time, writing bogus tickets and everything. Their van was decorated like a police car.


Our team at the starting line (we were missing 2 people). I'm on the left:


The starting line and awesome scenery:


Since it was Van #1's turn to run, we (Van #2) got to go back to the hotel and relax a little, eat breakfast, drink some more coffee. Then we had to go to Checkpoint #6 to be ready for the hand-off to our van.

Van #2 of Max Continuous Thrust (from left: Crystal, me, Brian, Jerry (not my hubby!), Stacie, and Marty):


On the way there, there was a car in front of us that was swerving all over the road, speeding up, slowing down--basically either really drunk or really old (I think he was just old).  He came REALLY close to hitting a couple of runners and a few cars. So we called 911 and we followed him for about 8 miles waiting for the police to come. I felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest--it was SO nerve wracking watching him drive alongside the runners. Finally, we went to the checkpoint.

Crystal was our first runner, and she had a REALLY difficult leg. The elevation went up about 2,000 feet in a matter of 5 or 6 miles. We met her halfway up the hill to give her water and cheer her on, then we went to Checkpoint #7.

Jerry waving Crystal up the hill (it's much steeper than it looks). Can you tell he's a pilot? :)


Giving Crystal water--she was EXHAUSTED, but only halfway up to the top!


Crystal handed off to Brian.  We drove halfway through his run to give him water and cheers.


After Brian, it was my turn to run. Brian handed off to me, and I started running. It was just before sunset, and it was really pretty! I ran my 3.2 miles, then handed off to Marty.

My brother handing off to me, for my first leg:


Running my first leg:




Handing off to Marty:


i was relieved to be done with my first run. I modified my garments in a truly nasty lavatory. i used to be searching for no longer-so-dirty spots to set my stuff down even as I modified--and that i set my mobile telephone on this little 1/2-wall. Later determined I left it there!  earlier than we left, there had been those girls (a team referred to as The Diva's) that were actually into my brother. they'd seen him jogging and stopped to give him water. They have been fantastic excited that he had his blouse off, in order that they commenced calling him "The No-blouse guy". We stored walking into them alongside the course, and they were given all excited to see Brian, and instructed him to "Take off your blouse!"  Hahaha.

As we have been riding to the subsequent checkpoint, Brian got a name on his cellular cellphone from a few lady pronouncing that she discovered my mobile cellphone. She stated she'd meet us at Checkpoint #12. Brian stated, "ok, we are in a van referred to as Max continuous Thrust" and the woman said, "Ohmygod, are you the No-shirt man?!"  Brian stated yes, and you may listen all of the ladies scream :)  So it changed into The Diva's that found my cellphone.  Later, i would find out that they had been texting my brother from my smartphone for the following few checkpoints--they even sent a boob picture! LOL

While Marty was running, we took the time to revamp our van decorations. They were really lame! lol





All those dots you see are little magnetic lights all over the van, so our runners knew which van was ours. Clever!


After Marty ran it was Stacie's turn. It was dark by this time, and she had to wear the required reflective vest and head light.


After Stacie was Jerry, and then our van was done for a while, and Van #1 started again.

At this factor, it turned into quite overdue (eleven?) We drove to Checkpoint #18 (wherein we'd must meet up with Van #1 when they finished their legs). midway there, we got pulled over by way of the law enforcement officials. actual ones, not the Ragnar 911 crew :)  They made us take all the lighting fixtures off of our van!

Checkpoint #18 was at a excessive faculty. The school become providing showers for $three, spaghetti dinner for $7, and slumbering within the health club for $three. I selected to sleep! There have been about 100 people inside the gymnasium sleeping on sound asleep bags. I spread out my bag (proper in-among  other humans--awkward!) and in reality fell asleep pretty quickly. but I most effective slept for about an hour before I wakened and couldn't fall returned asleep. I went again to the van at 2:forty five and ate some yogurt and nuts. At round 3:30 AM, Van #1 confirmed up for the hand-off. They then were given to sleep/devour/bathe whilst we (Van #2) ran our legs.

My 2nd leg commenced earlier than sunrise, and completed after sunrise. i used to be SO worn-out and my tempo contemplated that. however I finished my 5.4 miles and actually felt a lot higher later on.

Just before my second leg... it was about 4 AM, and REALLY foggy! The specks you see are actually fog droplets.


We were required to wear these vests and a headlamp while running in the dark. This was just after my second leg (5.4 miles):


Stacie's second leg was difficult for her. She had a hill.  Here is the hand-off from Marty to Stacie:


And Stacie finishing up her second leg:


Jerry finishing up Van #2's second legs. He was really goofy and SO much fun! (Did I mention that already?):

After the 6 folks completed our legs, we went to Checkpoint #30 to anticipate Van #1. every body determined to try to sleep--on the grass, inside the van, anyplace. Stacie and i walked throughout the street to a Borders to go searching and kill a while. I had eaten some junk meals (path mix and chips) after my previous leg, and it stuck up with me at this factor. I got diarrhea. Yup, and the simplest vicinity to go to the toilet were port-a-potties and public restrooms. My belly was killing me. besides, we ate lunch on the van, rested a bit, after which it become time for our last legs of the race.

Stacie and I were in fresh clothes and ready for our third legs:


People sleeping wherever they could!


Giving Brian water during his third leg:


My last leg was at about 2 PM. It was still a little overcast when I started, which was nice. Not too hot, and my leg was right along the Mississippi River.

The hand-off from my brother to me:


My third leg. My brother was giving me water. I wasn't nearly AS miserable as I look here! But my stomach was still killing me. Junk food will do that to you, I guess! :)


Finishing my last leg:



DONE!! My brother and me.


on the stop of my four.2 mile leg, it became truly hot. i used to be thrilled to be finished although! I may want to simply loosen up in the van and cheer on my group. Our remaining runner was Crystal. She had to run 6 miles and it become SO warm.

We drove to the end line and waited for the announcer to say that she turned into on her way. while she turned into approximately two hundred yards away, the whole team went to her and we all ran throughout the finish line collectively. Crystal kept announcing she turned into going to throw up, and she known as a cab to depart proper away. I felt so terrible for her! there has been unfastened pizza and $2 beers at the end. I ate 1 piece of pizza and had a beer. i bought a couple of shirts, too--a hooded sweatshirt that asserts "Run. power. Sleep? Repeat." with the Ragnar emblem on it. and i were given a t-shirt that announces, "2 hundred(ish) miles, 36 legs, 12 friends".

My medal (it's SUPER heavy! And the top part under the ribbon is also a bottle opener, lol)


We crossed the end line at approximately five, and our flight was at 9 (we needed to be there at eight). After our pizza and beer, we went returned to Brian's, took a notable brief bathe, after which headed to the airport. I got stopped for some time at protection--they confiscated a can of pumpkin from my bag! LOL I had sold it on the grocery shop in MN because we don't have any canned pumpkin in MI--and i used to be so excited to find a few that i bought a can to deliver domestic. however security took it from me. They patted me down, went thru my bag, rescanned a bunch of stuff, used some form of wipe to peer if there was any residue interior my bag, and many others.

Stacie counseled getting milkshakes from the airport, and i was excited about that. Then I notion to myself, "i'm SO not hungry. inside the past, i'd are becoming the milk shake besides, simply due to the fact i've already consuming plenty of junk nowadays. but do I truly really need it? NO. i am not hungry!"  So I chose not to get one, and i just took a sip of Stacie's as a substitute. it's large development for me!

We ended up getting first class at the manner domestic, which changed into cool. Of path I couldn't pass up loose liquids! I just had a pitcher of crimson wine. And a Reese Cup, because that turned into loose too... not the nice desire, but i used to be so exhausted I did not care. We arrived at DTW at nighttime, and Stacie's mom drove us home. I got domestic at 1, went to mattress at 2. Slept until 10:15 on Sunday morning--I by no means sleep that past due!

The race was SO notable, and that i met some sincerely superb people. i am truely thinking about doing it again subsequent 12 months--perhaps in Chicago or Boston.  every body interested in assembly up there for the race??  It became a amazing time, and i am so happy that I were given suckered into doing it.